Sunday, July 26, 2015

In a world of low pay, no AC!


To many Americans, abstaining from air-conditioning is a masochistic
folly akin to refusing Novocain or renouncing the dishwasher.

Lisa Finkelstein, a freelance editor, stopped using the semi-functional
air-conditioning and heating unit in her rented cottage in Tallahassee,
Fla., two years ago, mostly for economic reasons.

“You live with your windows and doors open, you use fans, drink lots of
cold liquids and take it easy,” she said. “You come to realize that
winter and summer is going to be kind of a bear but you dress for it,
and you enjoy fall and spring very much. What’s interesting is you
acclimate to it.”

She said that if she didn’t work from home, the adjustment would probably
be harder. “It’s miserable when you come out of a nice air-conditioned
place,” Ms. Finkelstein said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/garden/23air.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Elderly can't afford air conditioning,that is a reality for some of
Arizona’s most vulnerable. According to a study released by the Arizona
Department of Health, an average of 50 elderly people die each year
because of the heat.

An inability to pay for air conditioning is a contributing factor.
“Is the AC on and are they able to afford it? A lot of people will turn
it off because they can’t afford it,” said Zachary Matz from Scottsdale’s
Beat the Heat program.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Elderly-cant-afford-air-conditioning-160598725.html

Can't Afford an Air Conditioner? Make One.
Necessity is the mother of invention. So, apparently, is sweating:
A college student's lack of air conditioning inspired him to figure out
an inexpensive way to keep cool using a garbage can filled with ice water
and an electric fan.

Geoff Milburn, a civil engineering student in Ontario, says his system
can chill a room in 15-20 minutes and costs about $25 (Canadian) to
produce. It works by conveying the ice water via copper tubing along the
back of the fan, cooling the air in the process.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4708562

***Not having the money for AC, is more of an issue than it is, but
not heard!

In my days in my apartment, I would turn off power at the fuse box
when I went to work, and I had no power in the weekdays.
I only had power when I had to get ready for work, then the power
was back off. I un-plugged the refrigerator being there was not much in there.
If I needed something I would go to Walmart and use their refrigerator.

I only had the power on the most on the weekends.
And I never turned on the AC being my Walmart pay, that is
how many of the Walmart workers live! I have been there I know!
From my time at Walmart!