Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell.

This is a book I wish more people would look into these days.
It does point to the heart of the matter of many issues today not even
being recognized. It's like people being hit in the head by a book or rubber-band
with them thinking a bug hit them in the head!

The book by Bertrand Russell, is far more than I will post here so you need to
read it yourself. I hope it makes a point to others on how they are living
and what is just sitting there for them!

~~~~~The Conquest of Happiness
"The secret of happiness is this: let your interests be as wide as possible,
and let your reactions to the things and persons that interest you be as far
as possible friendly rather than hostile."

In adolescence, I hated life and was continually on the verge of suicide, 
from which, however, I was restrained by the desire to know more 
mathematics. Now, on the contrary, I enjoy life; I might almost say that 
with every year that passes I enjoy it more.

This is due partly to having discovered what were the things that I most desired,
and having gradually acquired many of these things. Partly it is due to having 
successfully dismissed certain objects of desire - such as the acquisition of indubitable 
knowledge something or other as essentially unattainable. But very largely it is due 
to a diminishing preoccupation with myself. Like others who had a 
Puritan education, I had the habit of meditating on my sins, follies, 
and shortcomings. I seemed to myself no doubt justly a miserable specimen. 
Gradually I learned to be indifferent to myself and my deficiencies; 
I came to centre my attention increasingly upon external objects: the state of the world, 
various branches of knowledge, individuals for whom I felt affection.

~~~~~The Conquest of Happiness, 1930, by Bertrand Russell
(London; Allen & Unwin, 1930) Full Text
 
Preface
 
This book is not addressed to the learned, or to those who regard a practical
problem merely as something to be talked about. No profound philosophy or
deep erudition will be found in the following pages. I have aimed only at putting
together some remarks which are inspired by what I hope is common sense.
All that I claim for the recipes offered to the reader is that they are such as are
confirmed by my own experience and observation, and that they have increased
my own happiness whenever I have acted in accordance with them.
On this ground I venture to hope that some among those multitudes of men and
women who suffer unhappiness without enjoying it, may find their situation diagnosed 
and a method, of escape suggested. It is in the belief that many people who are 
unhappy could become happy by well-directed effort that I have written this book.
 
Many chapters covers much about life and the suppression of the dark ages in how 
we live today! How we live, love and relate to each other never changes.
From the 1930's till today here we are!