Sunday, June 25, 2023

The brains defense mechanisms!


Did you know your brain can sensor things it doesn't like and worse shut mostly down to a road of illness if bad. 

"Suppression is the voluntary form of repression proposed by Sigmund Freud in 1892. It is the conscious process of pushing unwanted, anxiety-provoking thoughts, memories, emotions, fantasies and desires out of awareness. Suppression is more amenable to controlled experiments than is repression, the unconscious process of excluding painful memories, thoughts and impulses from consciousness." 

"A different form of suppression, known as visual perceptual suppression, occurs when an object or part of one is not consciously seen even though the image is always clearly visible. A common example is the bistable figure, such as the drawing of the cube, the vase-face or the duck-rabbit in the triptych illustration above. The eyes see the same lines and shapes on the page, but what you consciously see in your head changes from the duck to the rabbit and back again. When the image of the duck is being consciously seen in your mind’s eye, the image of the rabbit is “suppressed,” and vice versa." https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/neuroscience-meets-psychoanalysis

When I was in middle school after time in the Gym we took showers. Well kids are nasty after playing dodge ball etc I would be burned out, sweaty, greasy so I would get in the shower to clean the nasty off of me. I knew I was not nasty like this before puberty so I would be in the shower getting it off of me asking why. In the shower I looked over at another boy and noticed a blackspot on his crouch. I realized I censored that like I didn't know why but was like wow did I just do that? I didn't want to see another kids wiener so the image of the wiener was suppressed because my defense mechanism my brain said that is not me I know who I am!

I also changed my major many times in college. I never limited my education, "Multiple intelligences refers to a theory describing the different ways students learn and acquire information." So one subject overlaps with the others. I took many classes that related as I saw it. I jumped into Psychology because of my girlfriends incident she had with her boyfriend and her mom when she was in high school. Her boyfriend didn't pick her up at the High school so she walked home only to get home where she heard a bang bang noise that at the time she thought it was like water pipes banging around leaking. So she ran to the washer and it was ok. The noise was coming from her moms bedroom so she opened the door only so see her mom and her boyfriend going at it in a bad place. Her mom was high a lot at the time her boyfriend asked her mom if he could have a piece of her "hash" so she said ok bending over to get it out of the drawer and... 

That was the last thing my girlfriend remembered her brain blacked out till she came back in a fetal position at her sisters middle school not knowing how she got there. She walked all the way there. We acknowledged the danger of what if she had a car at the time driving blacked out! Bad things but she had to deal with the mental issues of that. She was lucky she blacked out sometimes the brain will make another personality to firewall the issue like a child that does not talk to be between both personalities kind of things!